Connect with us

Gossip

Khashoggi ‘strangled’ to death as soon as he entered consulate

Published

on

Khashoggi-strangled-to-death

Journalist Jamal Khashoggi was strangled as soon as he entered the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul as part of a premeditated killing, says Turkish prosecutor.

Chief Istanbul prosecutor Irfan Fidan’s office released a statement saying that Mr Khashoggi’s body was dismembered and disposed of.

Also added that the discussions with Saudi chief prosecutor Saud al-Mojeb have yielded no “concrete results” despite “good-willed efforts” by Turkey to uncover the truth.

The statement is the first public confirmation by a Turkish official that Mr Khashoggi was strangled and dismembered after he entered the Saudi Consulate on October 2 to collect paperwork needed to marry his Turkish fiancee.

The announcement came as Mr al-Mojeb ended a three-day visit to Istanbul during which he held talks with Mr Fidan and other Turkish officials.

Turkey is seeking the extradition of 18 Saudi suspects detained in Saudi Arabia over the killing of Mr Khashoggi.

It is also pressing Saudi Arabia for information concerning Mr Khashoggi’s remains, which still have not been found, as well as who ordered the journalist’s killing.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has also called on Riyadh to disclose the identity of an alleged local collaborator said to have been involved in disposing of Mr Khashoggi’s body.

The 59-year-old columnist for The Washington Post, vanished after entering the consulate in Istanbul to pick up paperwork for his upcoming marriage to his fiancee, who was waiting for him outside. A critic of the Saudi royal family, Mr Khashoggi had been living in exile in the United States.

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Trending

%d bloggers like this: